Certificate of Authorization

If your pressure-retaining item is regulated by the TSSA, you must obtain a Certificate of Authorization (COA).

A Certificate of Authorization (COA) allows companies from Ontario and around the world to manufacture pressure-retaining items for use in Ontario.   

If the item your company plans to manufacture for use in Ontario is regulated by the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) according to Ontario Regulation 220/01: Boilers and Pressure Vessels (Ontario.ca), your company is required to obtain a COA before manufacturing it.

Manufacturers, fabricators, contractors, assemblers, or repair organizations of pressure piping must also have a valid Certificate of Authorization from TSSA or another Canadian jurisdiction. Visit Find a Certificate of Authorization Holder for a list of contractors who hold a Certificate of Authorization. The contractor’s scope of work is also provided in the listing.     

How to get a COA: Non-nuclear manufacturers

Step 1: Complete the application form

Complete the Application for Non-Nuclear Ontario Certificate of Authorization (pdf) and provide the necessary details. Please refer to the application guidelines in the form.   

It is important that you know what type of COA you need to apply for. For example, if the equipment your company plans to manufacture is power piping under the ASME B31.1 Code, ensure you select this in the application form.

Step 2: Pay the required deposit fee

Page two of the application form indicates the fees required.

Step 3: Provide documents to support your application

In addition to the application form, companies in Ontario are required to provide a Quality Program Manual and Quality Program Checklist. Learn more about the Quality Program.

Step 4: Submit your application and required documents

Submit the following to TSSA’s Service Prepayment Portal:

  • Your application form.

  • The Quality Program Manual.

  • The Quality Program Checklist.

A TSSA administrator will reach out to your company to schedule a Quality Program review or audit with one of TSSA’s Quality Assessment Specialists, and to arrange for any necessary administrative or additional requirements you may have:   

Learn more about what to expect during a COA audit.

For information pertaining to the alternate piping inspection process, visit BPV Manufacturers.

How to get a COA: CSA N285 nuclear applications

When applying for a Nuclear COA, refer to the Guideline for Nuclear Certificates of Authorization: Nuclear Scope, Limitations and Implementation (CSA N285 Nuclear Applications (pdf)

In addition to guideline requirements, select the appropriate application below and follow the instructions on the required fees:

COA information changes and extensions

If your company moves to a different location or a legal name change has taken place, TSSA must be notified of all changes to the COA.

Please follow the appropriate procedures below:

If your company requires an extension of the expiration date on the current COA, please email a completed Request for Extension of Ontario COA (PDF) to bpvqa@tssa.org.

Find a COA holder

The Certificate of Authorization Holder directory contains a listing of businesses that hold a COA issued by TSSA. Please note that the information in this directory is updated periodically and may not reflect the most recent information available for each entry. If you have a question regarding the information contained on this page, please contact customerservices@tssa.org or call 1-877-682-TSSA (8772).